Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Last two years /Telecom have been chasing me

Hello, for the last two years B/Telecom have been chasing me for an unpayed bill from an address i used to live at ,this address has 4 flats but they all share the same letter box. Someone used my name to get a phone line &set top box installed into there flat(no2)first floor where as i lived upstairs at no 3 around the time i moved out i have spoken to BT or there agents and explaned what has happend but they still keep hounding me for payment this situation will also effect my credit rating can you help.......thanks
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I would suggest you write to them as follows:
- Say you have informed them that you have moved address and provided written notice of this;
- Say that it is not your issue that someone has forged your name to start an account with BT, say this is something they will have to sort out with whoever is using the service at Flat 2;
- Say that it is a criminal offence to pursue someone for money they do not owe under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and you insist they immediately stop;
- If they do not confirm immediately in writing that they will stop chasing you for the money and resolve the issue themselves you reserve the right to:
(i) Complain to their regulator OfCom www.ofcom.org.uk/
(ii) Complain to the policue;
(iii) Complain to trading standards https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office
- Say to them that if you receive one more email demanding money from you, you will be forced to obtain legal representation and will seek to recover the cost of doing some from BT;
- (It is up to you if you want to make this point) Say that it is unacceptable that they can demand money from someone that has been a victim of a fraud and they do not have safeguards in place to verify the identity of the person who is purchasing their services. Say that it should have been obvious to their team that something was not right as the account had been disconnected and then reconnected in the same name. Say that their continued harassment of you is something you would be willing to highlight to the local press if you do not receive a full written apology for the time wasted and harassment suffered.
If they still ignore this letter, then I would recommend complaining to Ofcom and Trading Standards.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Can I assist you any further? In the meantime I would be most grateful for any feedback? Kind regards AJ