ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

My daughter recently died and our son in law keeps changing

My daughter recently died and our son in law keeps changing when we can see our grandchildren. My grandchildren are 4 and 6 and I have seen them every day of their lives until my daughter died they even lived with us for the last year. But since my son in law moved out into his own house which we provided he doesn't want the grandchildren to see us very much because he doesn't like the fact they would rather be with us than him (there words) Do we have any legal rights to get access to our grandchildren on a more regular basis so me and the grandchildren no when we are seeing each other
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
I am sorry to hear about the circumstances that have led to you being denied spending time with your grandchildren.
The courts do consider that children should have a relationship with both sides of the family and I am sure that they will be sympathetic in your circumstances and also given the fact that you have previously enjoyed a good relationship with your grandchildren.
You should consider making an application to the court for a child arrangement order to spend time with your grandchildren.
Before an application can be made to court - you need to refer the matter to mediation. There are lots of mediation services and there will be one local to you. One such national service is www.nfm.org.uk
If mediation is unsuccessful at reaching an agreement then you should make an application to the court on Form C100. Send to local family court. As a grandparent you need leave so you also need to complete Form C2. Court fee is £215.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively. Happy to discuss further.