Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am a danish national and lived in London 14 years ago and

I am a danish national and lived in London 14 years ago and married a girl from the US living in London, we lived in london for 8 years moved away and later got a divorce under commonwealth law however outside the UK. Do we need to file that divorce paper in London even if none of us have lived there for now more than 6 years
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. No, you don't need to file your divorce papers in London. Essentially, it is the law of the place where the divorce which took place which determines whether the divorce is valid or not. Once the divorce is lawful according to the place where it occurred, then it will be recognised in any country within the EU, such as Denmark or the UK, without any further act of recognition. So there is no need or manner in which you need to file this Commonwealth divorce in the UK. That is why the official in Bow County Court was clueless as to what was required. This just doesn't happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks a million for your reply. I wish you a great weekend. All the best. Ulrik