12826847

My son has a claim against his motor insurance policy

My son has a claim against his motor insurance policy for damaging a neighbours wall , the claim is in progress but his policy is up for renewal in 20 days. The new premium (which has taken into account the in progress claim) has increased by a huge £2,000. His previous premium was £600 and the repair to the wall is quoted at £1400.
He has on line renewal quotes of around £600 , he has declared the in progress claim.
My question is, can he change insurers at renewal time in order to get an affordable premium even though this claim is still in progress.?
Yes, he can. He will have to declare this claim and it will probably have an adverse affect upon quotes but he is not under a duty to stay with this insurer just because there is a claim pending.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo,

That is very clear thank you .

This is related but in fairness to you is a separate question so I am happy to pay more if required.

In relation to the claim (my son's car rolled off our drive un attended and damaged the brand new wall of my neighbour) , as the neighbour has insisted on completely rebuilding the wall (cost £1400) we had to go via insurance . I am worried that the insurers may take the view that the wall is repairable (which I believe it is) and not fund the total rebuild. Would I then be liable to pay my neighbour the difference?

Phil

You wouldn't be liable. Your son would in theory. It is pretty rare that anybody sues the driver for the difference. Usually they accept the insurance offer.
If they are of the view that the wall is repairable though then a court should uphold that as he should not benefit from a civil wrong.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks , that is very helpful indeed

Kind Regards

Phil

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/