Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a question regarding obtaining british passport

Hi, I have a question regarding obtaining british citizenship ( passport ) I am highly qualified professional with Bulgarian passport working on a permanent contract for the same UK (international) company and living in UK for the past 5 years. I don't have residents card as I started with work permit and later on the requirements for Bulgarian citizens changed and we were given the right to "freely" work and live in UK. I would like to apply for British Passport later this year as I have my family and children here and recently I bought a house. My question is: Do I need first to have residents card to apply, or on the basis of living and working here for more than 5 years I am eligible to apply as it is. Best. K.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You don't need a residents card to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen. Nationals of other EU States don't need a resident's card to live and work in the UK. You can apply as you are. The five years are measured from when you first came to the UK on a work permit. The fee is £1005 currently. Here is a link to the form to fill in, together with guidance on how to fill it in. The page also has a list of the requirements needed, such as processing biometric information. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-naturalise-as-a-british-citizen-form-an. Best of luck!