How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10525
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have a question regarding obtaining british passport

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have a question regarding obtaining british citizenship ( passport ) I am highly qualified professional with Bulgarian passport working on a permanent contract for the same UK (international) company and living in UK for the past 5 years. I don't have residents card as I started with work permit and later on the requirements for Bulgarian citizens changed and we were given the right to "freely" work and live in UK. I would like to apply for British Passport later this year as I have my family and children here and recently I bought a house. My question is: Do I need first to have residents card to apply, or on the basis of living and working here for more than 5 years I am eligible to apply as it is. Best. K.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You don't need a residents card to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen. Nationals of other EU States don't need a resident's card to live and work in the UK. You can apply as you are. The five years are measured from when you first came to the UK on a work permit. The fee is £1005 currently. Here is a link to the form to fill in, together with guidance on how to fill it in. The page also has a list of the requirements needed, such as processing biometric information. Best of luck!
Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you