12826847

I would like to know if a company can cancel a contract and

Customer Question

I would like to know if a company can cancel a contract and charge you cancellation fees for not filling in forms they send even if the terms and conditions do not require me to provide the information. And there terms and conditions state that cancellation fees apply if i cancel the contract.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I decided to make a ppi claim an as my time is limited i didnt want to be filling in lengthy claims forms. So i signed with claims 4 you i read there terms and conds b4 signing and no where does it say i have to provide them with any information or that im required to fill in lengthy claims form which they sent for me to fill in. I said as my time is limited and its not required of me to do so that i requested to b paid 4 my services. I then got more threatening letters saying if i do not fill in these forms they will cancel the contract and charge me cancellation fees. I wrote another letter telling them to read there own terms and conditions and that i am more than happy for them to do the claim and they do not have my permission to cancel the contract. In the contract it only say if i choose to cancel then cancellation fees apply. They hv now sent me a letter sayin they hv cancelled the contract and i owe them£180 in cancellation fees

They can cancel the contract. They don't need your permission to do that.

However, cancellation fees per se are just fines and they are void under UCTA save for limited exceptions. It might well have been a term that you completed these forms and, in fairness, the contract would depend upon you doing so as they couldn't take any steps without that information. Failing to do so might have been a breach. They still only have a claim for the sum of their loss. Whatever that loss is it does not amount to £180.