Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My father died, his estate has 2 executors my 2 brothers, the

my father died, his estate has 2 executors my 2 brothers, the will splits everything 3 ways, house sale and cash in bank have been distributed, a late award is to be made from a claim for mesotheolma of £75k, one brother is planning to take £10k of this for himself before the balance is split, he claims this is for caring for my father in his last days, I believe this is theft from my fathers estate
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
I am rather with your view on this. Unless he can show that he spent a considerable sum of money on your father's care (and the sum would need to be reasonable) he would not be able to advance such a claim. I rather take the view that he is trying it on. The cost of a nurse (to provide quality care) would be considerably less than this sum. From what you have written he does not have such an entitlement. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for that, is this theft is my real question, in other words a criminal act
I am not convinced it would be treated as a criminal act by the police - they would take the view that it is simply a civil matter. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I imagine he is in breach of his duty as an executor, is that duty not to distribute the estate wholly within the instructions in the will
It would certainly appear to suggest a breach of his duty as a beneficiary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is your advice that I should do
I would be minded to get a solicitor to write a formal letter putting him on notice of your concerns and basically reminding him of his duty as a executor. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
My pleasure - I hope it works out - please rate positive = thanks