12826847

My grandson (16) has been arrested this evening. Police have

My grandson (16) has been arrested this evening. Police have spoken to his mum and said she is not allowed to see him. They said he's being questioned on a public order charge but will not give her any info. The officer who rang her had a terrible manner. Needless to say my daughter is in floods of tears over her son but this officer is adding to her problem. Can you please tell me the procedure after arrest . Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Procedure in relation to what?
are you asking if he will be released?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can his mum see him ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, police stations do not facilitate visits.If he is 16 then he would need an appropriate adult but the law does not demand that it be a parent. If they have found an alternative then that is acceptable.Sorry if that is bad news.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems very unfair. Wasn't there a case a couple of years ago whereby a parent had the right to see her son ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. The case you are thinking of just said that a 17 year old should have an appropriate adult which is another legal nonsense as PACE does not provide for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The law is definitely an ass don't you think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P s thank you anyway for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It can be certainly but I cannot agree that this particular issue is unfair. The police don't have visiting facilities. There are a whole load of safety issues in a police station. Some of the people who end up in custody suites are not the safest in the world and they cannot have members of the public visiting and ultimately people are usually only there for one night which is not the longest period of time. It is rather unusual that the police haven't asked her to be an appropriate adult but then they are not usually very helpful either. I was a police station rep for years before I went to the Bar and I didn't find appropriate adults helped in any circumstances. In fact, worried parents tend to make things worse as they put pressure on the suspect.