Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If I got married in 2013 in Dominican Republic and only

Hi if I got married in 2013 in Dominican Republic and only got a certificate in Spainish is it still legal in the u.k?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes, the marriage certificate is still valid in the UK provided it was lawful according to the law of the Dominican Republic, when it was obtained. It makes no difference that it is in Spanish. This does not preclude the marriage certificate being valid in the UK. For official purposes, if you want to submit for Immigration purposes, you will also have to provide a certified translation of the marriage certificate, so the UK Border Agency can understand what it is and its legal significance. However, once your marriage was properly celebrated in 2013, in accordance with the law of the Dominican Republic, it will be given recognition in the UK and can be used for Immigration purposes.