31090051

When signing a will, should each page be signed or initialled?

Hi, when signing a will, should each page be signed or initialled? What is to stop someone getting hold of the will and just amending the pages that are not signed or dated? Should there be a digital copy made or a copy held with the executors?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
In England a will does not need to be signed on every page. It is attested on the last page before two witnesses. It is good practice to give a copy to the executors and to keep the original safe so as to avoid the scenario you describe. The original will can be deposited with a solicitor, a bank or the probate service. It is preferable not to keep it lying about the house if there is a suspicion that others may try to alter it.
There is of course no reason why it couldn't be signed on every page, even although this isn't a legal requirement. The will should declare that for security purposes the testator has elected to sign the will on each page.
I hope that helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.