13262538

I am a victim of identity theft: someone impersonating me was

Customer Question

I am a victim of identity theft: someone impersonating me was able to open an account at Barclays in London, and divert an interational transfer of funds there. We have filed reports both with the bank and the fraud police in the UK through their internet portals.
We live in Mexico, however, and in any case there seems to be little we can do to as individuals to obtain information from the bank. We have been advised to seek legal advise.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstCould you explain exactly what has happened please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. Sorry for the delay, I am on a different time zone. What happened was someone was able to open a bank account at Barclays in London (we live in Mexico) in my name, using fake documents. Then they used a similar email address to mine to write to my client and ask them to deposit a payment (I am a sculptor and this was a transaction with a long standing client) into the Barclays account instead of my regular account. Then the money disappeared. We have filed a complaint with Barclays and also with the fraud authorities in the UK, but both the systems offer very little feed-back to victims. We feel we are entitled to see copies of the fake documents used (that would provide a picture of the impersonator!) as well as to see information about how the money was transferred out. But we probably need to be represented legally in the uk. Our question is, how best to proceed? What are the chances we will get this information from the bank? Are they liable to us for the lapse in security? Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
This does suggest an intimate knowledge of your life.Do you ever come to the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not been in the UK in decades. However we think the client must have had a lapse in security in his office, because the criminals knew every detail of the transaction, such as the ammount, what our invoices looked like, etc. The client is based in the Philippines. We are based in Mexico. The client's office also had access to scanned pdfs of my two passports (I have dual citizenship) because they were needed to bring the pieces through customs. We now know we should have provided black an white copies instead. Apparently the ip address from where the fake emails were sent, instructing the client's secretary to deposit in Barclays rather than to our usual account, was in the US. But we are still inclined to think it was a plan developed in Manila.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen an aswer here yet, but I am being asked to rate? Am I mistaken that you are still going to reply?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think I have received an answer yet, just a request for more information, which I provided, and a sort of sympathetic comment. Is this it?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry - the site does send such messages at the wrong times - my apologies!I am still trying to work out your best approach - it is is disappointing that the bank appear to have washed their hands of all responsibility.What, exactly have they said?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, that is good to know, Clare. Well, after the automated report didn´t yield a response and we got on the phone to their call center for fraud, the bank sent back a "final communication" that was so careless they addressed it to the wrong name. When we complained about the response a few days ago we were told our complaint would be put through to a supervisor, and we are waiting to hear back from them. We have met with the bank representatives in Manila who sent the money and in their opinion Barclays will not likely allow us to see the fake documents used to open the account in my name or provide further evidence about the transaction that could be vital for us to track down the defrauders, unless we request this information through a formal legal complaint. So I guess we need to know how this could be done and how much it would cost us. Thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
That is simply not good enough on the part of the Bank
Which bank do you use in Manila - or is there a branch of Barclays there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BFI, Bank of the Phillipine Islands. We met in person with their representatives. Unfourtunately there is not much they can do.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is there a Branch of Barclays in Manilla?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.