Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have recently been interviewed as part of a tv programme.

I have recently been interviewed as part of a tv programme. the tv company has asked me to sign a contract which basically allows them to use whatever recording they have made during their visit.
I have asked to see my part of the programme before I will sign the contract.
am I correct to do so? what other advice can you give me please
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Has the TV company refused to show you the recording? Are you being paid for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
at this stage they have not refused, however when I asked once the recording had finished last Friday they did not seem forthcoming with my request then.
no I am not being paid, I am helping a customer who are involved in much of the programme.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I do think it is a good idea to require that you see the programme before you agree to it being broadcast as some programme makers are unscrupulous in portraying people out of context.
If you are happy with the content then it would be prudent to check the agreement thoroughly particuarly is it a one of airing or can this be aired or used in other programmes.
If you have any further specific concerns please let me know. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what if they do not allow me to see my involvement before the programme is shown, do I have any legal rights to stop them from showing my content?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Can I just clarify what you agreed to before filming? Did you sign anything then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing, my customer asked me if we could be involved in the programme to complete their 'story'
I have not signed any documents
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok but you willingly consented to be interveiwed? I am sorry for all of the questions I just need to understand the full situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I just want make sure that they do not portray the wrong information
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi If you refuse to sign the contract and you tell them that you do not want your interview in the programme then it is clear that you do not consent to your image being broadcasted.
If the TV company goes ahead and shows it then is potentially in breach of the Data Protection Act and you may be able to take action against them. This is particularly the case if you are portrayed in a bad light or could suffer a financial loss as a result of this.