29905560

Good morning, I run a Nail salon in Green Laness, another

Customer Question

Good morning,
I run a Nail salon in Green Laness, another shop has now opened a 1/4 of a mile away, another has just started legal proceedings to open another nail salon 6 doors away. Can they do this? Many thanks for any help.
Elizabeth Moulton.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean if they can open so close to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ben,
Yes.
I am afraid that is not illegal. It is lawful to have a competing business open within proximity of other similar businesses and it is in fact considered healthy from a consumers point of view. If someone wanted to open a competing business right next door to you they could easily and legally do so. It would only become an issue if the persons behind that business were you ex-employees who were under a restrictive covenant for a specific period which prevented them from working in competition with you within a certain radius; or if the company which opens up has a very similar name to you so that consumers would be confused as to which business is which and you may be affected as a result. However, the simple fact that it is a competing business will not in itself make any of this unlawful I'm afraid.