29905560

Two weeks ago I had a reap air on my car brakes done at a garage

Two weeks ago I had a reap air on my car brakes done at a garage in Banbury a major vauxhall agent on comeing back to Birmingham I visited my regular garage who said I had been over charged by as much as £400 the bill being £470 should I face them face to face or get a solicitor to get in touch Mr g b walker. 0121 743. 2830 thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. We're you told of the charges in advance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes £38
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
How did it end up becoming such a big difference between what was quoted for and what you actually paid in the end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Being a lay man and needing to get back Birmingham I had know choice I wasn't aloud in the work shop
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My own garage said They did not the promised
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will get back to you this afternoon with my full response
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. When you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the law says that the work must be:
• Carried out with reasonable care and skill – i.e. to a proper standard of workmanship;
• Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and
• Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed).
Your argument would be relying on the third of those points, that the work should have been provided at a reasonable cost. You would be looking at the work done and what a reasonable garage in their place would have charged for it. Obviously there could be certain deviations in price due to geographic location, if it was a specialist garage, etc but overall these should not be too great. When the difference is clearly unreasonable that is when you would be looking at challenging it.
At this stage I would not get a solicitor involved – it is early days and you should try and resolve this yourself first before starting to pay lawyers’ fees, specially when the amount in dispute is not very large. I would either go in person or send them a letter raising the concerns you have and providing some evidence as to how you have worked out they overcharged you (for example a report or estimate from your local garage). Give them a timeframe within which they should reply, such as 10 days, and state that failure to reach an amicable resolution could result in you taking formal legal action to pursue this.
Even if it gets to you having to go to court you do not have to use a solicitor – this would go to the small claims court which is designed for consumers or the small unrepresented parties and you could go through the whole process yourself. Of course if you wanted to use a lawyer you could but you can save yourself a lot of money if you do not. If you do use one, it may be best to wait until you have decided to issue the claim, or you could also use them to send one final letter before the claim, just to make it clear that you are taking this seriously and have already taken legal advice and have representation to take this to court.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you