Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If I leave my entire estate worth in excess of £325,000 to

If I leave my entire estate worth in excess of £325,000 to registered charities will there be exemption from liability to inheritance tax or would a reduced rate of 36% apply to any balance above the basic threshold.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
If you leave all your Estate to registered Charities, no IHT is payable, as gifts to Charities are exempt.
(The reduced rate of 36% only applies if you were to leave your Estate to private individuals and over 10% of your Estate to charities. If you leave 100% to Charities, then no IHT is payable).
I hope this assists you and clarifies the legal position.
Kind Regards
Al