12826847

I have spoken to you back in august regarding a problem

I have spoken to you back in august regarding a problem with british gas . It was regarding faulty meter that they believe that it was tampered with and the send me an estimated bill for the for what they believe is lost revenue. my accountant have been trying to them to find out how did they come up with this figure and same time to propose some payment arrangement . first they wouldn't explain how they calculated that total and they want us to pay the first they said at least half (tha was to my accountant) . I called them today now they said we only accept full payment and your case is with the warrant team. the bill total is £8600 . the day the removed the meter I paid them £1000 as gesture of good will and gentlemen promised to look at the disputed figure. I made couple of small payment like you advised me to pay as much as I can afford. when I spoke to them today although they insisted on full amount to withdraw the application I paid them another £1000 I said I can pay them another £1500 before the court date , they said is up to you but that wouldn't stop the the warrant. can you please advice me what to do next. I found some discrepancy in their calculation. they are asking me to speak to the investigation officer, but is the same guy who promised he will do something about the bill but never got back to me.this bill for an resturant/nighclub which have been making loss for the last two years
Zayad
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if you need to speak to him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am asking will the magistrate reject the warrant if i keep paying (like i paid 1000 today and i can pay another 1500 even though i am disputing the amount)

basically i am asking what can i do to stop the warrant being issued (without paying the full amount they are claiming, first i don't believe is correct second i can't pay in on go maximum i can pay is £2500 before the court and another £1000 two days after court date and the rest on six months instalments

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also wanted to know if I can go own my own to court without a solicitor

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Remind me of the amount that you owe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
£8600 today I paid £1000 the balance £7600.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
It is very difficult to tell with Magistrates. They are not very respected. The reason for that is that there is no real consistency, they are not a very fair tribunal and, in my opinion, most of them are not all that bright.
I used to prosecute utility warrants all the time. I've seen Magistrates allow time to pay for much higher amounts. In particular you could point to the disputed amount. One issue that might be a factor is that you could be on any tariff without your agreement. However, that would just mean you owe something but less.
Equally though, I've seen them allow warrants for much smaller amounts.
Generally speaking, they like to see regular and reliable payment of a sum of money that will clear the debt in a reasonable period of time. If you are paying £1k a month then probably they will allow you time to pay as it will not take that long to resolve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your reply, couple of questions shall I make another payment before the court date which is one week or wait to go to court . Also shall I send them a letter asking why the wouldn't explain how the calculated these figures (because everything has been verbal so far) . they admitted themselves that they don't believe it happened during my time as a company director (would that be taken into consideration) . I know the company liable .

finally the flat above the restaurant(where I live with my family) and the restaurant are on that same meter.

thank you for your help

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is probably a good idea.
If this is a part commercial meter though then the chances of a warrant are higher. Generally they are more sympathetic to domestic customers.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice