75100385

A wealthy man befriended me and over a period of 14 months

Customer Question

a wealthy man befriended me and over a period of 14 months he kept giving me gifts and buying me clothes although numerous times I said no. In the end I started accepting them because he made me feel stupid for saying no. However recently because he thinks I was rude to him he wants everything back. Whilst I am not averse to returning the items he lay no conditions and even said of the jewellery that I could pass them down. on principle I do not want to return them. I estimate in total the items may be worth 3k altogether. where do I stand?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Did he ever say that the items would be returned should he demand it please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No never. It was just friendship and I told him more than once I can not give him anything in return. He always said he likes spoiling me.

Ok, then legally if it was a gift or given and no conditions attached you dont need to return anything in law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can he take me to court over this and what would the likely outcome be?

He can try but I dont think he would win.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it went to court, is it similar to criminal court where people are summoned? This situation has made me very anxious because he is demanding everything back. He stated in an email that I need to pay him or return everything. like I said it is on principle I don't want to.

No nothing like criminal court. It would be a small claim in an office.

Does that help?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.