75100385

I recently did a painting job as a sole trader company.there

i recently did a painting job as a sole trader for a company.there was overspray on a number of cars 100 yards away.i thought i was insured but as it turned out in some sub section i wasnt for that type of building.the company i was working for too it on themselves to sort it out.people were coming out of everywhere to say there were minute drops of paint on the cars some just wiped off with your hand.the people that they hired wer charging 300 a car because they thought insurance claim.now the company i was working for is billing me 15 grand.outrageous yes.i havnt sen an invoice for anything.i think as a sole trader it was my responsibility to examine the car and assess what the damage is and hire who i want to do the job at a fair price.what shud i do?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you seen evidence of all the damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i saw some that was minimal.it was a wkend day and very few cars in the parking area but after that everyone in the factory seemedto want their car valeted.i had stopped working because i thought the wind might b picking up.the paint was a specialised paint andit seemed like it was only dust.the paint wasnt supposed to travel.the other cars if they were there at all would have been on the other side of the factory building that was taller than the one i was on.the company i was working for paid the bill already without even consulting me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
You have given me a negative rating but I have not answered yet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no i didnt i was asked for more information.is this just a farce?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well give me an answer

Are you insured for damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

as i said the insurance i had was not covered by the type of building i was working on not that i knew.

Has the company provided any evidence of the damage or claims please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not to me

Ok. Then unless they have shown you evidence then you do not need to pay. Even if they show evidence they need to satisfy you:
1) the cars were damaged
2) they were damaged by you
3) the paint couldnt just be wiped off
4) they obtained several quotes for cleaning etc and picked the cheapest.
Without this there is no claim. They can'r just say, oh by the way you owe us £15k.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do i need to hire a lawyer as i still do work for the company actually the only company i work for and they plan to take it from my pay

They can't take it from your pay, that is illegal, unless your contract says otherwise. You only need to hire a solicitor if they do deduct.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes thank you.you have been great.

Heppy to help. Good luck
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.
If the system won’t let you please click reply.
Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience