13262538

I have been a member of a holiday club 20 years.

Customer Question

I have been a member of a holiday club for over 20 years. When I joined it was called the Grand Vacation Club . It has changed its name a few times over the years and is currently called Diamond Resorts International.I am currently paying £85.00 per month. I have not used any of this company's facilities for 10 years now. Partly due to a medical condition. I contacted the company last year and was told that I can't leave as I had signed up for life. I can assure you that this was never mentioned in the sales pitch all those years ago. So my question is what will happen if I cancel my direct debit? Will I be breaking the law?
FYI. I live in Scotland but the company is bases in England. How to I cancel my membership of this club?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help youThere are in fact various ways of leaving this organisation (although they are slow to admit it)One way is to pay two years fees up front and then walk away.Another is to notify them them of your medical condition and the fact that you can no longer travel (or that you are over 75)Alternatively if you were signed up in Scotland I understand that they accept a level of miss selling and should be willing to negotiate with you.Do not just stop paying - instead write a formal letter setting out your position and follow it up with a phone call and ask to speak to a senior manager - try speaking to some one at the Scottish Sa;es Site - I beleive it is calle dthe Kenmore Clubhttp://www.independent.co.uk/property/house-and-home/property/safe-escapes-from-the-timeshare-snare-8478336.htmlI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Clare. Thanks for your quick reply. Is the 2 years fee payment up front then walk away a guaranteed exit strategy? I am not trying to sell my points. I just want to walk away from this company. I have paid over £10000 over the last 10 years without using the facilities. Will this fact help my case?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

As I understand it is indeed a guaranteed exit strategy - albeit and expensive one