12826847

Good evening I recently moved into a private let as a student. About

Good evening
I recently moved into a private let as a student.
About a week ago my smoke alarm went off unprompted and I just couldn't shut it off. Accordingly after much waiting I removed the fixture and cut a wire in it to turn it off. I promptly returned it to its fixture and went back to sleep and forgot about it.
Today repair team from the landlord came round and found due to notice of a fault and identified what had happened.
I intend to go in tomorrow to speak to my landlord and admit matters as this seems the only reasonable course of action.
My question is a) whether they will seek to evict me (I realise I'll have to pay and have no objection, naturally)
and more pressingly, b) can I be criminally liable for this? Neither the police nor fire service would have any knowledge at this point. Can/Will my landlord seek to prosecute?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you just disabled it or actually caused damage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just disabled as far as I am aware, a new wire would be all that it would need to repair from my understanding

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If that is the extent of it then it is very unlikely he would seek to evict. To be wholly honest, most tenants disable their smoke alarm.
I suppose if you did cause damage of any kind then that is a criminal damage in principle but he isn't going to report that and if he does the police are very unlikely to be interested. Please don't worry. This is a great time to commit proper crime as the police are far too busy investigating false allegations against dead people that would never have been made if the accuser didn't think that compo and attention might be available to deal with any proper crime.
There is no point in seeking a prosecution. Of course, that doesn't mean he won't. Nobody can guarantee that but most people have better things to do with their lives than seek attention by reporting trivia to the police.
Can I clariy anything for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo,

Thanks, ***** ***** that was my feeling but I'm an awful goody two shoes so got in a panic. I'll go and be contrite tomorrow and hopefully nothing more than a ticking off and a hit to my wallet.

Appreciate the advice and has put my mind at rest.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.