Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My grandson age 19 has signed up online plumbing course

my grandson age 19 has signed up for an online plumbing course on22 of august paying a £50 deposit and agreeing to pay £150 per month for 44 months to a CARNEGIE FINANCE COMPANY. For this he recieved a couple of plumbing manuals and dvd s , he had to fil in a manual with some online questions .The training centre named TRADES GATEWAY in a letter in the briefcase they gave him said a tutor would contact him in21 days from signing ,this would have been round about the 12 th of september,this never happened and he never heard nothing from them . I thought this could be some kind of scam and told my grandson so . THen he recieved a letter from his bank enclosing a copy of a bankers order from carnegie finance with the payment details 150 per month 1st payment on the 1st of october til 1st of may 2019 ,he signed this on his first meeting with the agent.My grandsons bank had sent this order to him ,that doing a normal security check his signature did not match his sample signature this letter was dated 7th of september ,but BOBBY my grandson chose to ignore this letter until he had met his tutor on the 12 th of september .No one from TRADES GATEWAY has contacted him since his first meeting . Bobby called in to his bank on 5th of october to see if a payment had come out of his account but bank said no because he had not verified his signature so he told bank not to do anything about this order .Bobby has now recieved a letter fromCARNEGIE saying arrears outstanding £150 and if they contact him again a late payment of £10 will incur letter, dated 6th oct . Bobby rang CARNEGIE on 8th oct to say he no longer wished to do this course but they told him to take the matter up with TRADES GATEWAY and that he had signed a contract and he had gone past the 14 day cooling off period . bobby is trying to ring a number for the training centre given to him by CARNEGIE to cancel the course .All bobby has is the adress Teaching dept*****96_100 luton rd Harpenden Hertfordshire al5 3bl how does he stand legally. thanks my name is terry
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are you saying that no online tutor has been in contact with him since he signed the contract?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes no one only had letter frm finance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you recieve my reply
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry I did, there will be slight delays as I deal with several questions at once.
Your grandson should say that on the basis that the course has been misrepresented to him he is cancellling the contract.
If they attempt to puruse him or threaten court action he should be clear that he lost confidence when they failed to assign a tutor in accordance with what was agreed.
Hopefully they will not continue to pursue him. If they do it may be worth him reporting them to Trading Standards, who will give him a reference number.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.