12826847

My other half bought a set of golf clubs from a charity shop

My other half bought a set of golf clubs from a charity shop for £95.00 for his 80th birthday.
He got them home and cleaned them and took them to play golf with his pals only to be laughed at because they turned out to be ladies golf clubs. The charity shop is refusing to give him his money back, which is a weeks pension to him, but will give him a credit note.
He is not likely to use this money in a charity shop. What are his rights, if any?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is he hoping to return them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid that I can't really give you any good news.
A charity shop is a shop like any other and is bound by most consumer protection legislation. However, this does not offend against the sale of goods act. This comes down to him disliking upon further inspection the products that he has bought and I'm afraid that does not entitle him to any claim against a merchant at all.
Many merchants will offer a quibble free refund in the interests of good business but they don't have to and, of course, charity shops are not on the whole concerned about good business I am afraid.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.
The credit notes was a good deal as it is more than they are under a duty to offer.