Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My husband died this year. We had on our join name house. I

My husband died this year. We had on our join name house. I need to re-mortagage the house. To do so I will need to remove my husbands name from deeds. Would that mean I will need to pay tax because the house will be then on my sole name?
Margaret
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Please don't worry too much- there won't be any tax for you to pay.

As regards ***** ***** husband's name, this is a very straight forward process, in that all what needs to be done is to send a copy of his death certificate to the Land Registry. Indeed, the Solicitor who acts for you in the re-mortgage can do this for you.

There is no legal need for you to remove his name before you apply to re-mortgage.

However, if you feel you can do it yourself, all you need to do is to submit the death certificate with Form DJP.

Here is the Land Registry link-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/deceased-joint-proprietor-djp

I hope this assists but please let me know if you require any clarification.

Kind Regards

Al