12826847

I have been told my my phone contract provider (onecom) that

Customer Question

I have been told my my phone contract provider (onecom) that I verbally agreed to a six year contract. OK I wasnt listening properly (I would never agree to such a lengthy contract). And am I right in believing that the maximum contract can only be 2 years?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, a contract can be for any length that was agreed.
What was criticised by the OFT was rolling contracts of long periods.
Mortgages, for instance, are contracts that last for over twenty years.
It is unusual for a contract to have such a long lock in period for an item of this nature though. You might want to see the paper contract.
You could always try to challenge it under UCTA but they won't sue. What they will do is add a default to your credit rating. that might be important or it might not depending on whether you want to borrow money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should I have had this given to me in writing as part of the cooling off period - so that i was sure what i was agreeing to?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not usually. Online contracts are often not provided at all.
The cooling off period has to be available obviously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pretty disgusted that another bunch of crooks has found a way to take advantage of people that dont `read the small print`.

According to Ofcom its a European law that 24 months is max, but Ofcom is just a toothless wonder for us minnows to complain to.

Soz just think all this crap stinks to high heaven.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Ofcom does behave as though it has far more power than it does.

If it helps, always ask for time to read the small print. Apart from anything else it buys you time to avoid impulse purchases which, in my experience, have generally been the biggest mistakes.