Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I am on a low income and have been claiming housing benefit,

I am on a low income and have been claiming housing benefit, the local authority have failed to re-assess my benefit from November 2014. Hence I have gone 1444.00 in arrears. My landlord is taken me to court.
The council have ignored and not action-ed any of my 10 letters. Can I put in a smalls claims in the local court against the council for my arrears. They may say the court does not have jurisdiction, is there a point of law I can relay on?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid that you can not bring a claim against them in the small claims court. The statutory provisions for Housing Benefit are not intended to confer a right to sue for breach of duty to pay benefits. What I would do however is contact your MP and explain to them the position. Normally a letter from the MP will bring immediate action. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.