ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Legal requirements of schools duty of care on 2 occasions I

Customer Question

Legal requirements of schools duty of care on 2 occasions I have found a number of 4 year olds in their first week of school left without any adult supervision, first time probably 4,5 min this was the children second half day in school. Theses children were visibly upset second time 4 days later this time 8 to 9 minutes without supervision made a written complaint met the head and chair of governors . Refusal to answer specific questions and well nothing happened to the children! If I left a 4 year old unsupervised I could be prosecuted does the duty of care not apply to young children in school
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.
Teachers do have a duty of care in respect of children's supervision to act reasonably and carefully during lesson times. Whilst it appears that the school have been lucky that no pupils have been injured whilst being left unsupervised - Leaving such young children for up to nearly 10 minutes is risky.
This helpful page will help you establish whom is responsible for supervision at different points of the school day.
http://www.voicetheunion.org.uk/index.cfm/files/forms/index.cfm?event=download&cid=79
I note that you have already spoke to the school and governors about the issue but you are not satisfied with the response. You should consider referring the issue to your local council. This site explains the process for you:
https://www.gov.uk/report-teacher-misconduct
Kind Regards
Caroline
Please kindly remember to rate positively so that we receive credit for our work.