Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I need some advice, I'm in the process of buying a first floor

Customer Question

I need some advice, I'm in the process of buying a first floor flat (with a private entrance) and there is a hold up due to the solicitors not being able to agree the marked plans showing the boundaries of what i will actually own.
At present the plans don't show I will own any part of the ground floor (what would be my access to the first floor flat). These plans can't be amended as the land registry people say that the ground floor area is already registered to the people in the ground floor flat.
Do I have to get the downstairs people to amend the drawings with the land registry people? or can i assume i will legally own the small ground floor entrance/stairwell?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
what is the seller doing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In what context?
The seller and the sellers solicitors disagree and say that the plans don't need to be amended.
Ok. Your solicitor is correct. You will have to get the ground floor flat to amend the drawings which are registered with the Land Registry. This is very important and needs to properly reflect the situation - unless and until it is resolved the solicitor would also I imagine not recommend a mortgage for the property. It will also make it difficult for you to sell the property and as such will need to be resolved. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive

I hope that this helps - please rate positive - thanks