Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I created a "Standard" on work environment. I would

I created a "Standard" on work environment. I would to sell it (like an ISO-9001 standard) and provide services which is coming with it (consulting for implementation and certification). I would like the text to be protected and avoid some to buy the text and resell it cheaper and also protect it from someone to buy the standard and create also consulting and get the revenue from it.
Is it possible?
regards,
Benoit
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you written and designed the text? Will it be sold under a license? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I designed the text, but it is a bit like a scientific publication which is also gather research results from several scientist. The standards give clear criteria on key work environment metrics. My idea was to sell the text at first and I was thinking about some kind of copyright that stop the buyer to resell the text.

In a second time, I would offer certification services (consulting, audit and evaluation of customer premisces as per the standard). I would like to avoid a competitor to buy the text and offer the same services, using a standard that is not his.

The licence model would, I believe, cover the second point (by, for example, charging a monthly fee for using the standard), but not the first one.

So, I don't think the licencing model is possible (or is it?). Would you have some form of copyright that cover the both?

Regards,

Benoit

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Copyright is automatic - the author of an original literary work is automatically the owner of the copyright in it.
As long as you can prove you authored the work you can license the use of it. Who would you license he work to?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I have to pay for Copyrights?

I am thinking to licence the text to any Company for their own use or to any any other consulting company that would like to offer certification/consulting services based on this text.

Regards,

Benoit

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. Copyright does not require registration, it automatically subsists in the author of the work. You do not need to pay for it, you own once you have created it. If it is an original text that you have drafted then you own it. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a good news. How would I be able to prove I wrote the text? Would you have some examples?

Regards,

Benoit

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you. When you distribute the text make sure that it is marked with copyright "YOUR NAME" 2015. Also avoid distributing in formats that can be easily copied or are publicly available. Kind regards AJ