Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have a question about whether or not I could use an ombudsman

Customer Question

hi I have a question about whether or not I could use an ombudsman to deal with a complaint I have over service from a company that repaired my washing machine. the company repaired it initially and after less than 12hours it failed again and I am now left with a machine full of dirty clothes that will neither switch on or open. the company sent another engineer who told me that a new circuit board would be ordered and done however when I rang up I was told I would wait two weeks for this. as I had already waited a full week for the first engineer and ten days after that for the original repair to be done, I was nor pleased so I asked to complain as I wanted my laundrette costs covering. I had already paid for repairs that were still not done and I was now paying six pounds a load at the laundrette. the manager I spoke to told me that she could not do this but she would refund my money. at no point did anyone mention that they would not repair my machine. I rang up this morning expecting an engineer and was told they had refunded my money so were not going to repair the washing machine. I am left now over 4 weeks without a washer and my machine is in a worse state than when they started. where do I stand with this? all help appreciated
michelle
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Other than the £6 laundry charge and the inconvenience has any other financial loss been suffered? e.g. have you managed to remove the clothes from the machine or are they ruined?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 6 everytime I go so far I've had to pay around 36 pounds in laundrette fees as thankfully family have helped.iv also got school clothes and other items still stuck in my machine which will very likely be mouldy by now and ruined
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks what was the original repair cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
135 pounds it was an all in cost to cover all parts and labour which I paid upfront. That has been refunded to me now
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** no ombudsman to use in this situation but you do have rights under the Supply of Goods and Services Act to have the work done with reasonable care and skill and to expect the work done to be of a satisfactory quality.
As you have been refunded the amount you paid your claim would be limited to the amount of money you have lost as a result of the bad workmanship.
Firstly I would suggest you contact your local trading standards (normally housed within your local authority) to complain about the company. They will give you a reference to use in your correspondence with them.
You can then send them a letter before action to ask them to refund your out of pocket expenses. Provide receipts if possible. You should ask give them 14 days to refund the money and say you will raise a claim if they do not. If they fail to pay you can lodge a claim at money claim online www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will do that
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem, please do take the time to rate my answer before you leave the site as it is an important part of the process.

All the best with it.