Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

NB please only answer in you have a good knowledge of mobile

Customer Question

NB please only answer in you have a good knowledge of mobile forensics and retrieval of data. I believe I am now a suspect of harassing myself and that someone may have gained access to my phone at some stage over the last few months. The police have sent
a smashed screen phone of mine off to technicians. The y say this is so they accurate record of the messages that were sent to myself but I believe they are trying to build a case against myself or my grown up children in the house. I have a windows phone
and in just looking for a site I had accessed some months ago on new phone have noticed some searches I did not perform which may incriminate me. Are there levels of investigation that the police will ask for eg will they always access the internal memory
of the phone? or not. Are the laws protecting how this data can be used? I suspect someone around me but not my children but the police have done nothing to investigate this avenue. Also there are other victims who blame myself for abusive texts.
There are levels of investigation but they should target what they are trying to prove. If the issue is were they sent from your phone then that is a very basic level of investigation.
They won't always access the internal memory necessarily but probably in this case they would if the facts are as you say.
If the screen is smashed and it does not work then the only option to recover is to access the internal memory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The issue is not as far as I am aware have they been sent from my phone. I have been told they have imei number of the phone that has sent them, this will not incriminate me as I nor any of my family has bought a phone, set up a phone or used to harass anybody. I have spoken to you before about this but I am still extremely worried that I have been set up and that someone has had access to the smashed screen phone without my permission. If there is this web browsing history, will that be on the internal memory? how will I prove it is someone else? They only seem interested in myself and children. This has gone on for 2 and half years and only taken this sudden turn because I innocently asked a friend to buy a top up voucher which I never used and then the code not the voucher was taken from my house without my knowledge and used on the phone we don't know where to harass myself and others.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
?
Well, yes, I would imagine they do suspect you.
Then surely the issue must be they were sent from your phone? Otherwise what would seizure prove?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There wasn't a seizure I gave it them voluntarily. Nothing as far as I am aware has been sent from my phone. I think they are looking for information that would incriminate me. They have the imei number of the phone that has been used to harrass people including myself. What they are looking for I don't know. What are they allowed to look for or and use?
I don't quite understand why they would have the IMEI number unless they had physical possession of a phone.
They are allowed to look for anything that gives rise to suspicion.
They wouldn't be able to get an IMEI number without a phone.
What they may have is the IP address but they could be searching your phone for evidence you have accessed it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. They have the imei number through the sim from the phone company of the phone that is harrassing me (not my phone, obviously they have my imei) they are working on location of this phone. I'm worried sick this phone has been planted or used near my location. As far as I know they don't actually have the phone in their possession. I think they may use bad stuff I have said about people involved from the phone. And also searched people who are involved to try and make some sense if the situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there? I have used you before, and must say you are very slow compared to some of the other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are they likely to look at the internal memory/allowed to do so merely to have a good fish for what I am up to/my private life or only look for whatever they suspect me of? Which is presumably topping up a phone I have never had possession of ever and harassing people through abusive texts, including harassing myself. Or that my son or daughter has done this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sergeant in this case has it in for me and I am very worried about the situation
But the sim doesn't indicate the physical device. Sims can be changed over.
I don't see how they could check whether a sim had been used in your phone.
Connection to the mast are more likely.
Yes, they are allowed to investigate that if they suspect these reports are untrue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As far as I know they do not suspect that my device has been used if it has then I am totally unaware of the fact. Over the last 2 and half years they have used brick type/dirty phones to harass me and have never been traced. Few people caught buying top ups on CCTV none of which have been able to be identified. They have the IMEI number of the phone that was topped up with the stolen voucher code, I don't know what sort of phone this is or where they have located it obviously. There is no problem at all if all they are allowed to do is verify that I have been harassed by matching the timings of messages etc and what I have reported as I have been completely transparent and true. I have received 100s of messages from these untraceable phones which will be on the smashed screen phone. So if you are saying they suspect me of lying about my own harassment this is not a worry at all as it is perfectly true and still ongoing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As for the sim they know that the sim that has been toped up with the stolen voucher code has been used in a phone that they have the IMEI number of and I can be damn certain this phone does not belong to me or my immediate family. I think they have the place of purchase for this phone as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me a reason you are so slow compared to other experts?
Since you are displeased I will opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its just the speed
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will wait but it is important to get answered
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you keep looking please its very important.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,