Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I have a flat in the UK which was being managed by an appalling

I have a flat in the UK which was being managed by an appalling agent who is refusing to pay back any part of the deposit after the tenants left. They have just told me that the tenants used the depsoit as the last month's rent but I know for a fact that the bond (deposit) was given back from Newham council to the agent. Please advise what my legal rights are?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
The agents provide you with a service which you pay them for. They are required to provide that service with reasonable care and skill under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. If they breach this obligation by for example not collecting the rent properly then you have a potential claim for contractual damages for the losses you have suffered.
On this basis you could:
(i) Complain to trading standards https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office; and/or
(ii) Make a county court claim for your losses - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
(iii) If they hold funds on your behalf complain to the FCA -
www.fca.org.uk/firms/firm-types/.../property-managing-agents
Can you calculate what losses you have actually suffered?
AJ