75100385

I entered into a Personal Contract Hire agreement car

Customer Question

I entered into a Personal Contract Hire agreement for a car in November 2012 on an annual mileage of 10,000 per annum. Job circumstances changed during this 2 year period and the mileage increased dramatically. At the end of the 2 years we verbally agreeds to continue on a month by month basis. I realised that to hand the car back would incur a huge excess mileage charge, therefore i asked for a price to buy the car in July this year.
I was asked to provide the lease company with the mileage which i did (70000).
A letter came back with the figure of £11600,also on the letter it showed the mileage and the end of contract date (Nov 2014).
The first paragraph of this letter said,if the vehicle was purchased before the end of the contract there "may" be early termination charges,excess mileage charges and outstanding rentals. As the vehicle was purchased about 8 months after the stated termination date i thought all was ok.
Wrong.....i came back from holiday to find a letter dated 2 weeks after i'd purchased the car asking me for £9126 in excess mileage charges.
I have challenged the company without any success. I have also been in touch with the Financial Ombudsman at the lease companies suggestion but have just had a reply from them saying they don't think i am liable for this charge as i have purchased the car, but to contact a solicitor.
Where do i stand.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Just to be clear, you had purchased the car and they are saying you are still liable for the fees?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this £36 on top of the £38 I have just already paid on my card
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The answer to your question is yes.
One off fee.
Did you purchase the car based on the value of the current mileage or what it should have been (within limit)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know because that was never mentioned, although I did go online to several websites since they have contacted me to get a valuation for the car based on a mileage of 27000 and the valuation was only about £1000 more.You can call me on ***********
I will do shortly.