Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

What is the procedure to gain a declaration of ownership and

Customer Question

What is the procedure to gain a declaration of ownership and the consequent possession order at court regarding the problem of a dog stolen by an ex partner? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Can you prove that the dog is yours?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I am a veterinary nurse and all the paperwork/receipt/chip/insurances/vets records/paperwork etc is in my name and paid for by myself. My ex is however claiming he placed half the value of the dog into my account the day I purchaced her so claims on this basis that the dog is half his... I paid cash which I already had and as he often placed money into my account for other things I don't feel this proves the dog is half his. Many thanks
I see. The Court can decide who has ownership. The majority of the time these cases are heard in the Small Claims Court.The claim will be for:legal ownershipthe return of the animal.The Court may consider many different aspects and points like considering who bought the animal and who the person who actually provides for the animal is.It is a possibility that the Court could just decide that the dog is owned jointly and if an agreement on who should have it cannot be found, could order that the dog to be sold and the money shared. Another option would be for the Court to decide on shared ownership, so that each person could have the dog for half a year each. I attach herewith details of the form - http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=338Please rate positive.

I hope that this helps - can you please rate positive - thanks