Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I was a member of a local hotel gym I cancelled my membership

I was a member of a local hotel gym I cancelled my membership in march 2015 however they continued to take £49 per month in payment until sept 2015 when I checked I have contacted them and they say they can only refund from april 2015 when they apparently took over they do however have a copy of my letter on file .is there anything I can do to get the full amount they owe me
thankyou
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you cancel your membership with the correct notice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I did they required it in writing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello are you still available please
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
So is the issue one months payment? What do they mean by they 'were took over'?
Sorry for the slight delay I deal with more than one issue at once so there will be slight delays.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi no the issue I payments taken for 12 months and apparently they took over the gym/hotel in april this year
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
So they are saying that your contract was with another company who owe you the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok were you notified of a change of ownership or not? Is the gym still trading under the same name?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think I was notified I'm not sure if they are trading under the same name
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok well you are entitled to all of your money back.
I would suggest you contact your local trading standards to complain about the gym and to ask them to give you a reference number to use in correspondence.
You should write to the manager to say that this money has been taken by error and you are entitled to be refunded the entire amount of money. The fact that the gym has had a change of ownership is not your concern.
You should state that if you are not issued a full refund within 7 days you will lodge a claim for the entire amount.
You will then be able to raise a claim at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
If you have any further questions please do ask.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thankyou
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
No problem please do remember to rate my answer before you leave the site.