Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I fell on a wet floor at a hotel in Jamaica in April- it's

I fell on a wet floor at a hotel in Jamaica in April- it's a long story but it was a holiday of a lifetime, ruined because of the hotel's negligence. I started a claim through the hotel's insurance company rather than my own. They handed it over to AIG UK stating that "liability isn't being contested" on the 27th Aug. They asked me what claim I was making so I replied with all the receipts for hospital care and a long statement about how it affected my whole holiday and that I still have discomfort in my ankle (due to the hotel's negligence). I have claimed for the $434 medical costs and the full cost of the holiday (£4000) - this is negotiable!!! After 3 weeks I asked for an update and again last week and I haven't heard anything. How long is a reasonable time scale to get a response?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have they given any reason for the delay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I have emailed twice now asking for an update and I haven't had any response
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Have you put them on notice that you intend to issue a PI claim already?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does that mean?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Have you said what you will do if they do not settle your claim appropriately? I.e. have you threatened court proceedings?
Did you have travel insurance when you were away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have travel insurance through my bank account that covers me worldwide and the AIG rep did say I could get a solicitor if I didn't think it was being handled appropriately. I was hoping that they would just handle it with minimum fuss. Obviously if I have to start paying legal fees then the amount I will be claiming will increase. As the inspectors in Jamaica did an investigation (which took months) and have admitted they were negligent I assumed this final part would be quick and simple.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The hotel company was Iberostar and it was a 4+ star rating
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
I do not think that a wait of 4 weeks is actually unreasonable. If this matter lingers on much longer though it may be worth contacting your own travel insurance to see if this covers legal representation in this matter as it may well do (at no further cost to you).
You are better of represented in any event as you may not be aware of all you are entitled to.
If they admitted liability it should be fairly straightforward.
I would really advise the above to make sure you get the maximum compensation.
If you have household insurance this may include legal expenses cover even if your travel insurance doesn't have it.
All the best with this.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.