Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Recently I've received my assessed work (teacher training course)

recently I've received my assessed work (teacher training course) from agency (external) tutors - work marked by one tutor: 7 out of 7 is all referrals. His feedback is not clear - is not giving me specific guidance what and how to change (all my previous referrals had specific feedback). I've made a complaint about it - would like to have my work reassessed by someone else as I have also spotted that he've marked some of my student's resources as faulty (I have designed a dictionary domino for students - and they are complete, functioning, tried and tested but don't look like he was expecting it - obviously didn't even try to assemble it - I have a photographic documentation (evidence for that).
I am 36, was always present at college and following my tutors advice, my passing rate was 50 - 70%. After talking to the department leader he've said that this tutor pass rate is 17% for my course - isn't that saying that he has a different expectation from the course itself, or the course itself was wrong. All I've asked in my complaint is to my work to be reassessed - it was rejected. Is there any students or human right that can be useful for me in supporting my case further on?
Joanna
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you saying that your Tutor the tutor has failed you by marking this work 17% when the passrate is 50- 70%?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tutor is an agency tutor that was not present when delivering or composing the course (hired recently just to mark our work as majority of the permanent tutors responsible for that course had quit) - my overall passing from various tutors from the college and another one from agency is 50 - 70% - other agency tutor marked my work 2 passes out of 3. The department coordinator responsible for that course told me that this guys marking so far - for all the student from that course is 17% passess, rest is fail. He've failed my 7 out of 7 he was marking

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok understood I wasn't clear earlier.
Isn't the college keen to investigate the inconsistency as I would have thought that the lower pass rate would concern them somewhat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not really, it is not the best college, with a lot of complaints (particularly for that course, for me is my first one - they rejected my request for reassessment on the department level (it would only create them more work) and the next step is the institutional level and then it would be the external bodies.

my question is do I have any legal rights to demand my work to be reassessed - looked at by the 3rd party?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Is this a private company? Have you paid for the course?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is Waltham Forest College - I have paid with a student loan, I was participaiting on a course (attendance) and my work so far (previous assessments, teachers observation) is up to date.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok you need to call them to ask to see their complaints procedure.
You should say that they are offering you a service and given that you and a large number of students are affected by this external tutors marks they have a duty to you , as a service provider, to have them checked.
Potentially they may be in breach of contract, depending on what the agreement with you states about verification of marks in these circumstances. Alternative under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 they have obligations to provide you with a reasonable service in relation to the course.
Hopefully if you ask them to do this in this manner they will agree.
If they do not then you may have to threaten legal action.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.