75100385

Is it "the law", as the estate agent is insisting to me, that,

Is it "the law", as the estate agent is insisting to me, that, in order to take out a year's. Tenancy on a property, I have to give details of my assets, bonds, savings and investments? This is apparently because I am retired and not earning a salary. I have also paid six months rent upfront, had a credit reference taken and given them bank statements, utility bills and my passport. They are also insisting it is law that I give them my national insurance number. Please clarify my situation. Is this not a severe invasion of my personal privacy?
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you.
No. There is no law that says that you even need to give them any documents whatsoever.
However Landlords generally ask for proof of identification and previous address. But there is no law requiring you to give them details of any investments and no law to make you give them your national insurance number.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.