Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

Madam We would like to know whether a claim can

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam
We would like to know whether a claim can be made for equity in a property to pay for care costs for an elderly relative.
The property is owned as tenants in common - myself; husband and father in law. Father in law has signed a declaration of trust renouncing all interest in the property as he has made no contribution towards purchase costs. He currently lives in the property with us but we are feeling that he will soon require more care than we can supply.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
By whom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By the government or anyone who may claim fees for care. I hope this makes sense.
It does make sense. Simply renouncing an interest in a house will not always work in preventing the LA from seeking a cost from the home. Property can be placed in a trust which means that it will become a protected asset, that cannot be used to cover care home costs. There are specialist solicitors who can advise you with regard to this so as to protect your interest. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate positive