12826847

I was caught speeding in Scotland by a hand held in-car

I was caught speeding in Scotland by a hand held in-car police camera and pulled over.I was recorded at 93mph on the A74M which is a 70mph limit. I accepted the option of admitting the offence and was told that I would be fined £100 and receive 3 points on my licence. However, on returning home I looked at the conditional offer of fixed penalty and noticed that the officer had entered 6 points beside the £100 fine.
Obviously concerned I telephoned and asked for the officer to phone me back. Sometime later that evening, I received a call back from him and I queried that he had entered 6 points instead of 3. He apologised and said that I should alter it on the form and he would amend his record.
I would like to know whether the officers requested amendment is accepted practice or does the interference with what has been recorded on this document on both our parts invalidate the ticket?
I look forward to your response.
Roger
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I presume you do accept doing 93 mph in a 70 mph zone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was doing 93 mph in a 70 mph zone . However my question was more about the issue of alteration to the speeding ticket and whether this was a problem.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The reason it was altered is that 93 mph in a 70 mph zone exceeds the sentencing guideline that would allow for 3 points and a fine.
Anything over 90 mph in a 70 mph zone would normally attract 4-6 points or a short ban of 7 - 28 days.
In fairness, if this is 93 mph in a 70mph zone then you would almost certainly not get 6 points at court but the financial penalty would be higher.
In terms of amending, they are perfectly free to do that. Happens all the time. Otherwise mistakes could not be corrected.