Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

My commonlaw partner and I have split up..I currently live

Customer Question

Hi, my commonlaw partner and I have split up..I currently live in our home with his 16 year old stepson..he wants to sell the house and I want to stay...the mortgage is in his name...im noted as an interested party...he has moved to London and I pay the mortgage amount to him...I pay all the utility bills and have done for the last 11 years...do I have to sell??? Julie maccarthy
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
You will need to determine in what share the property is owned between you - it clearly sounds as if you have an interest and there is also the question of caring and maintenance for the stepson. You very clearly have an interest in the property - the value of this should be agreed sooner rather than later. Normally the court would expect the property to be sold if one of you can not afford (after distribution of share) toy keep the property on. I would recommend a solicitor to go through your interest and then to write formally to him setting out your position. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive.

I hope that this helps - please rate positve