Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My daughter after her IB school results was offered a position

Customer Question

My daughter after her IB school results was offered a position at the London School of Economics in their foundation program, since her grades were a bit below the required for admission in the regular degree program. This was done with the understanding that if she was able to attain the required grades for admission, she would have a place at the school to study for her undergraduate work. At the end of the year she attained an A in all the three subjects studied and was acceptable at all the Colleges she had applied to, including LSE.
While waiting for her visa she decided to check with LSE admission about the delay and was shocked to learn that she was not being considered because she had been late in sending in her acceptance! The last date for submission of acceptance was June 15, she had submitted her application to the Foundation coordinator on Jan 05, he however, delayed the onwards submission and all places had been filled. She was fortunate to have found a place at Kings College London, where she is presently. However, she was only interested in LSE, but was deprived due to administrative negligence. Does she have a case for claim to some form of punitive compensation from the Foundation Program?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Does the LSE have an appeals process for instances where applications are rejected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They do not as all their slots had already been taken and it was not they who had made any mistake

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Just so that I am clear who is the foundation coordinator, are they an employee of the LSE or someone separate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Foundation program is a separate program run under the University of London for all its colleges. They do not necessarily fall under administrative control of the individual colleges

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Do they have a complaints procedure and have you followed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As mentioned in my initial summary a complaint was indeed made, but since the school in question has nothing to do with whatever did happen, the people at the foundation program apologized and said congratulated her for having managed a slot at Kings College. No further option to complain remains. Either sue them or just shut up!

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it is a very tricky situation. In UK law unless there is a financial loss there is no grounds to sue as punitive damages are not awarded in breach of contract or professional negligence type claims. This means that as you cannot show a direct financial loss flowing from the cause of action there is not going to be much point in raising a case.
If you have paid for the professional services of the foundation programme then you will have the possiblity of claiming in breach of contract/ professional negligence for their failures to your daughter.
I am sorry that this was not the answer you are hoping for but it would be unfair for me to give you unrealistic expectations. Perhaps she could transfer course or defer if the correct course for her is the one that the deadline was missed for?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this? I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process.