Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

When I moved from Cheshire to Devon 4 years ago I obtained

When I moved from Cheshire to Devon 4 years ago I obtained quotes from three removal companies and chose the middle quote from Britannia Cestrian in Chester. It was split into three parts, Removal into storage £580 +vat, Removal from store to Devon £850+vat and £30 +vat storage costs.
I paid the 'into storage fee prior to removal and then paid a monthly invoice bill. When it came to requesting my goods to be delivered to Devon I was advised that the fee had gone up to £1817.80(inc) and if I didn't pay I would not receive our goods.
Sometime in 2012 I received an undated letter stating that Britannia was to be part of the Quality Moving Group and that "other than minor alterations to administration procedures the service provided will remain un-changed". Indeed the monthly invoices, the telephone numbers and the address were the same.
I have requested the overpayment be returned but they have refused.
Am I too late to take this to court, if not what are my chances ?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
You have six years to bring a claim for the overpayment. You will have to check that the original company has not gone into receivership but naturally formed part of the new company. You need to write a letter before action setting out the basis of the claim. On the basis that the original company are still in existence then you can being a claim for the sum due in the small claim court. Please rate positive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I received an email, (dated 15/11/11) in response to mine, from The Quality Group telling me that Britannia Cestrian had gone into liquidation in November 2011. This was the first I had heard of it. The invoices were the same layout, same contact details but after the first invoice dated 15/11/11 each invoice after that starting on 22/12/11 contained in small print at the bottom of the invoice the name and address of the Quality Movers Group. As of today Britannia Cetrian are still quoted on Yell.com.
Any further comments?
Kind regardsDon Lane
Don, The fact that you have been receiving invoices after the 'date of liquidation' from this new company and that they are part of the group appears to support the proposition of you taking action for the recovery of your money - in the small claims court. Happy to discuss but please rate positive