12826847

Divorced 21/1/1999 do I have to pay any of my pension to ex

Customer Question

Divorced 21/1/1999 do I have to pay any of my pension to ex wife ? Thanks.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWas there a final financial order made at the time of the divorce dealing with the Capital assets
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

There was no financial agreement at the time or since. We didn't use a solicitor , as far as I remember we got forms and submitted them ourselves to the court. We only had one piece of paper to say divorce made final and absolute and the said marriage was thereby dissolved.

What capital assets were there and what happened to them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house was sold and the ex had £20,000 , I think I had £5,000 but this was voluntarily done with no records.

Then you can relax.Because you were divorced in 1999 your ex cannot make a claim for a Pension Sharing Order and it seems that she recived the larger share of the capital which makes it unlikely that any further financial claim could be made even if she has not remarriedI hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just a final question ... as I cant remember ... if say we had £20,000 each , could she still claim ? (I have a bad memory).

thanks.

She still cannot apply for a pension sharing orderHowever if she has not remarried then potentially she could still make a capital claim against youHighly highly unlikely
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok that sounds fine. thanks for help.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well