Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I joined an NLP course in November 2014 and paid £2.5k upfront

Customer Question

I joined an NLP course in November 2014 and paid £2.5k upfront and the rest on a finance plan.with payments starting this March 2015. But from the first month signing with them they took a further payment and started my finance plan frm Dec. Since then there have been a whole host of issues from a course being inclusive of VAT but they added a further addition of 20% claiming it was VAT but when I highlighted this was incorrect as I signed up with the course inclusive of this charge. I got abuse.later down the line in a call to me they admitted the course was inclusive and it was an administrator error. But when I have cut my package down due to all this stress. I asked several times for an invoice only to find they have added VAT again. Now I'm getting abuse to say I'm trying to get money from them. When this is my money already and I feel they are ripping me off. Any help on what to do now would be a great help.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Did you have something in writing from them to say the original charge was inclusive of VAT.
Have they actually taken the additional VAT or are they demanding you pay it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the course form and also they just this moment sent me an email and stated it's inclusive of VAT. They have already got my money as I was originally on a package deal for 4 courses but after this pain they have caused they agreed I could just pay for the 1 course I have already Comolested and the overpaid balance they agreed to transfer to my friends account. But they sent me an invoice with the 3key for the course but added an extra charge of VAT for that's an extra 600 they are trying to hold onto.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
They sound dreadful! You should firstly contact trading standards at your local authority and report them, they will then give you a reference number to use on any further correspondence.
You should then write to them and say that if they do not refund the VAT they have taken in breach of contract in full within 7 days you will have no alternative but to raise a claim in the County Court to recover your money.
If they do not refund you can then issue a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
I hope that by receiving your letter they will see sense and refund you.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything else you would like to know about this? I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, was just doing what you have suggested and trying to report them to trading standards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They have sent me a email back stating I've been rude and they are doing me a favor for asking for my invoice to be revised as I noticed the VAT error. They are now claiming the vat was transferred to my friends account and they do not want to revise my invoice as they think I'm trying to claim more money.

Do I have any it her grounds for this treatment? ..

I have never made threats or demanded anything from them. And they are reluctant to put it in an email when they have made errors. So that's why I don't get reply to my questions.

And when I do I get abused and insulted.

Would it be best I stop all communications with them?

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Yes stop email communication.
Write to them to state that they have not paid the money back and that if they do not pay you will have no alternative but to bring legal action (as I set out in my first answer).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again Tara you've been a great help and made me feel a little more confident that I'm not just making an issue out of nothing.

Have a wonderful day.

Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
No problem, Glad to have helped .