29905560

If another company spreads rumours verbally that our company

Customer Question

if another company spreads rumours verbally that our company has had money problems and owed them thousands of pounds even if we did owe some money which was paid within a few weeks, is this slander? as they have told other potential customers/suppliers.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who are they spreading these to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Other local business owners , one of which knows us personally and has got in touch to let us know.
Has your business actually been affected as a result?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is too soon to say as it has only happened over the last few days and we only found out yesterday but it has also reached family members who own their own business. The fact is we were a customer of this person for about 8 years and always paid on time, until over the last three months, we got behind slightly, but did pay in full and she decided not to provide her services to us because of this and then proceeded to verbally inform her relative in the local garage, who then told his business associates, one of which told us of this yesterday. We don't know yet if she has informed anyone else, but it could have a negative impact on our business.
So just to be clear - what they are saying is actually true and was true at one point, even if it has since been resolved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
If the statements they have made are actually true then there is no slander and to be honest no other legal action you can take. There is nothing wrong legally in making a factually correct statement, even if it damages your business. That is an unfortunate result of their actions but they have not done anything wrong by stating the truth. It’s the same principle in customer reviews – someone may leave a negative statement about a business and that may damage it but if the statement is true, then the person has not done anything wrong. So the same situation applies here – if the statement they have made is true, there is not really anything that can be done because it is not unlawful to make true statements, even if they will have a negative impact.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you