Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I have terms of engagement from a firm of solicitors who have

Customer Question

I have terms of engagement from a firm of solicitors who have given me schedule whereupon the senior partner will be charged at £217 per hour and a junior clerk at £145.
We were informed that the junior clerk would do the majority of work, but when I received an analysis of the final bill it transpired that the senior partner had spent 63.8 hours and the clerk only 37.8, thereby resulting in a complete imbalance on their fee charge!
Can I legally challenge this?
Incidently the were dissinstructed [mainly for their refusal to appoint an expert witness]long before trial, which I handled and won on my own merits!
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I will try and help you. If you have been advised at the time as you state that the junior clerk would be dealing with the work then you can challenge the amount of work undertaken by the partner - this goes above supervision from the figures quoted. Equally they should have provided you with an estimate at the time and you can attempt to hold them to the estimate provided unless they have updated. You are entitled to challenge the bill and indeed have it assessed by an independent party. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
I hope that this helps - please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you let me know if there is any case laws on this subject?

Can you also reply to my other e mail***@******.***

Gordon

I would start by looking at Reynolds v Stone Rowe Brewer (A Firm) [2008] EWHC 497Please rate positive
Please rate positive - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me another couple of case laws

Gordon

Can you reply to***@******.***

I will do but please rate positive for answering the original question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good rating so far, but will upgrade to excellent if I can get a couple of other cases

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I have another couple of case laws in addition to Reynolds v Stone Rose Brewer

Here are a few more for you - Mastercigars Direct Ltd v Withers LLP [2008] 3 ALL ER 417, Sarwar v Alam [2001] EWCA Civ 1401 and Wong v Vizards [1997] 2 Costs LR 46