12826847

I have received a text message from an identifiable

Hello! I have received a text message from an identifiable mobile 'phone number (but which I do not know and cannot obtain further contact - goes to ansafone) in the following terms: ''It would be a very foolish person who would jeopardise everything and have an affair with (X) who is after all just the practice slag! (X) is a lovely person but from what I have heard has the morals of a sewer rat! You risk tarnishing your reputation and destroying your family!!!"
'X' is one of my veterinary nurses and I own several veterinary practices. The implication is untrue but clearly someone thinks it is! We have no idea who would send this - 'X' is separated from her former partner but he is much more forthright in his criticisms of her and it seems unlikely to be him. What action if any should I take to deter this person and protect both of us! Many thanks, D.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What are hoping to do about this?What do you want to achieve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jo,
Well really I just want to scare them and let them know not to play silly games like that with threatening messages! Make them think I will take action against them.
D
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What is your involved in all of this?
I realise that you received the text but other than that how does this impact on you?
It is never a good idea to place yourself at risk for somebody else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person who sent the text is clearly taking at least a threatening stance towards me, isn't that obvious?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it depends. Actually I think the primary insult is towards her rather than you. It would appear to me to be a warning more than anything else.
Overall, this would seem to be her problem rather than yours.
I can see that you obviously would prefer that it not be thought that you were involved in an affair with her but the implication that you are does not amount to a threat.
I suppose at the outside it could be a malicious communication but whether or not the police would be willing to act is another matter.
If there were subsequent acts of contact then that would amount to harassment but that hasn't happened yet.
If you are intent then you could seek an injunction forcing the provider to reveal the identity to whom the number is ***** but that is only helpful with pay as you go and also it is more expensive than this particular communication warrants.
If you do have the mobile number then you could always text back a harassment warning and no more. That is probably worth doing just to get the objection on record.
Other than that I would just leave her to deal with it. Don't feel an obligation to fight her battles for her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
No that's fine thank you! Do I just text back that I consider the text an harassment and will take further action if the perpetrator persists?
D
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No. Don't stick your neck out like that.
This is nothing to do with you. It is her problem.
Just send a text that says no more than 'I have listened to your message. I have no interest in your dispute with X and do not wish to be contacted about it. Further contact will amount to harassment'.
That will prompt a response. Just ignore them for about the next five messages and then make a report to the police if it persists.
Usually there is one response to the harassment warning and then it dies off. This person has no interest in you. It is her they are acting against.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! :-)
D
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/