12826847

My boyfriends son stole underwear and other very personal items,

My boyfriends son stole underwear and other very personal items, defiling them. Is this a crime? How serious? If I talk to the police will the decision to report it be taken out from my hands to charge him as he is only 15?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It would amount to theft.
If you report it then the decision will be beyond your control. I'm afraid the police cannot be controlled once a report is made. If you tell them that you don't want him charged they probably won't act at all. If you make a report though then they will want it to be dealt with properly.
It is not particularly serious really but a conviction for them is damaging to a career as it is dishonesty.
That is not to say that you have to put up with it. Families have lots of other means of resolving disputes and punishing unacceptable behaviour then complaining to the police.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The items were defiled sexually, is this more than theft? My concern is if this escalates if not dealt with correctly.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I suppose maybe criminal damage possibly.
You can deal with it as you wish. Actually police involvement is very unlikely to make anything better. It almost never improves juveniles or their conduct. Family intervention is much more successful.