12826847

A friend of mine who is German was driving here in

Hello!
A friend of mine who is German was driving here in the Uk and got lost in London and received a penalty fine from the transport for London for 1.500 euro. However that was 8 years ago and since then he has only ever received two demands but never paid them as he was declared bankrupt. He now wishes to visit friends here in the UK but has doubts if this would have repercussions. Who would be the best person to speak to and to find out if this penalty has been written off
thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It won't have been written off. That doesn't happen to criminal court matters.
He will have been convicted in absence and fine. Unless he was incredibly lucky and they forget to summons.
That does happen sometimes.
The only way to check is with the sentencing court. If he got demands they should contain contact information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JoSurely if he has been declared bankrupt in Germany, and if the European dept collectors haven't contacted him in 8 years it might of been signed off.I do have the fine reference number etc but by checking wouldnt this rock the boat so to speak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if he came into the country would there be any repercussions at passport controlregards
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, bankruptcy has no effect upon criminal fines. Generally speaking there would not be an arrest warrant for an offence of this kind. It is possible that there could be for non payment of fines though. It depends how old the fine is. 8 years is a substantial period of time.It also depends on the port and whether they have been given the correct information. It is amazing how many people are not picked up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Johow do we go about checking the fine without rocking the boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this something you could do?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
He is still in Germany I presume?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a German national, but the lorry was registered to his wife
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes but he is physically living in Germany now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he is physically living in Germany, hence why he wants to come over and visit friends here in the Uk
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is fairly safe for him to check then as they are not going to arrest him in Germany. If you have the reference number just call the court and ask what is the position with it. That will probably prompt further enforcement but they won't pursue him in Germany.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you where should we check exactly are you able to advise me where to find a e-mail address and contact telephone number
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Which court was it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only information we still have is a letter from the Euro Parking Collection plc for the Penalty Charge Notice for the sum of 1.167 euro
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is completely different.
Can you scan and send me a copy of that letter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I can't read it because it is in German.
But that is a low emission zone fine which would have been decided by the Adjudicator.
There won't be a warrant for his arrest therefore as it is a civil matter but bailiffs can enforce against him property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great news , thank you so very much for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.