13262538

I'm asking on behave of my husband who's mother sadly passed away last week.

Customer Question

Hi. I'm asking on behave of my husband who's mother sadly passed away last week. She verbally appointed my husband next of kin to take care of her welfare and finances. But now, his estranged sister (the deceased daughter and eldest child) is trying to contest all of the funeral arrangements my husband has made and trying to stop the funeral. She has severe mental health, alcohol and drug problems. Is there anything we can do stop her preventing the funeral? The deaceased was not a wealthy lady, she lived in the same council house for over 35 years and had little money in the bank (no more than 500 pounds). An LPA was not appointed and a will was not made.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWho is paying for the funeral?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks Claire. The funeral is being paid with an insurance policy that had been paid over a number of years by the deceased brother in law. This amounts to £1600. The reminder is being paid by the deceased brother who lives in the US. Flowers and the wake are being paid by my husband and myself. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

His sister has no more right to stop the funeral than he and his brother do - and since they are footing the balance of the bills she will not be able to stop the funeral going ahead